Thursday, September 8, 2011

Pride

Wow! Sorry about the long break. Once the summer came blogging went on the back burner a little but as school approaches I want to get into it again! So here we go:

Below are links to two articles that Bruce Eveleth sent me regarding high profile pastors that have stepped down citing issues with pride as their reasons and some reasons why Pastors are vulnerable to this low profile sin.



Pride is a tough sin. Where do you draw the line between an accurate view of your own worth and over emphasizing your worth? I think that one issue that wasn't touched on was "professional pastors" in that their job is to get people into their church so that they can make a living. Even if they do not have a huge salary, if no one is coming and giving an offering, the pastors will have to find other means of income. So the emphasis is on bringing in more people and just like in any profession, if you're successful then there is a little ego boost that comes with it. As a prospect interested in entering that industry, it is something that I need to be mindful of.


I was blessed to be asked to lead a college life group this summer and in doing so had to battle with my own pride. I only had two people come to my first life group out of about 15 that I asked or who voiced interest in coming. I was rather disheartened by the turn out the first meeting, I must admit, but I decided that it wasn't my life group it was God's and that whomever he trusted to me I would do my best to equip them to spread God's glory. Since then I have had 4 regular attenders but I have been extremely encouraged by the growth and discussions we have had. It is not big but once I stepped aside and allowed God to control it, I was amazed at the conversations and the growth TOGETHER that was coming from the conversations.


I think that is the key to remaining humble. Hebrews 11:2:


"Having our eyes fixed on Jesus, the guide and end of our faith, who went through the pains of the cross, not caring for the shame, because of the joy which was before him, and who has now taken his place at the right hand of God's seat of power." 


If we fix our eyes on the Kingdom and on Jesus and recognize that the fruit of our labor is his glory and not our own, we can rejoice in our successes without the sin of pride. Paul says in Galatians 6:14,


"May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." (NIV)


I think once we take our eyes off Jesus and the cross and begin to build up our own kingdom on Earth, we can forget the main goal which is to spread God's glory and not our own.


I do feel this is all easier said than done. I feel we often rest on our own strength and power and when we succeed, we are quick to give credit to ourselves. Through out the Bible, God called people of low status in society to spread his glory for that very reason. Jesus himself was a child born out of wedlock, to a lower middle class carpenter. He could have chosen to be born to a king and had more influence but he wanted the glory to be God's. So if we are focusing on Jesus and attempting to walk in his footsteps, we should be resting on the power of the Holy Spirit and all he has to offer and not on ourselves. We have to be open to God's correction and follow discipline, surround ourselves with godly men and women who we are open and vulnerable with and who will hold us accountable. As Stacy Sublett would say, we need to be "disciplined and teachable".


Until next time, God Bless.


No comments:

Post a Comment